Four kilometers from Pátzcuaro, this small town is located whose name means "place of thorns".
Visit as well:
It is said that this building was founded by Brother Alfonso de la Veracruz in 1576 and that the current construction was done by the first Prior Brother Francisco de Villafuerte in 1630. Only the church remains. Elements of the old cloister were used in its construction, as were the three large arches which adorned the cloister’s facade and now form part of a movie theater. The church of saint Agustín was converted into the library and on the wall at the back can be seen an interesting mural painted by Juan O’Gorman. The mural describes the history of the Purhépechas until the Mexican revolution in 1910.
Biblioteca Pública Gertrudis Bocanegra, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
In 2013 a pyramid of 13 steps, 20 complete human burials and 15 pieces of clay, basalt and copper ceramics were discovered in Malpaís Prieto, an area that is part of 400 archaeological sites located in the municipality of Zacapu, Michoacán, and where it does 700 years ago the uacusecha culture was established, a group considered to be the precursor that gave rise to the development of the Tarascan kingdom. This is indicated by the first archaeological finds and the exploration work on the uacusecha culture that archaeologists from the Center for Mexican and Central American Studies (CEMCA) have been carrying out for three years with the support of UNAM and INAH.
Malpais prieto, Zacapu, Michoacán, México.
The temple is located in the center of Santa Clara del Cobre, very close to the Sagrario. The building dates from the 17th century and has been preserved with the original details of that time, such as the paintings of saints that adorn the interior of the ceiling. It stands out for its baroque façade and for the oral tradition that, according to the story, in the tower of this temple, the famous Pito Pérez narrated his misadventures to the genre writer José Rubén Romero.
Parroquia de la Inmaculada Concepción Santa Clara del Cobre, Michoacán, México.
It is one of the places most visited by local athletes, it has several watery spaces, games, volleyball and basketball courts, as well as a large number of green areas. Some years ago it became famous for the appearance of the Virgin of Guadalupe in one of its trees.
Parque la Zarcita, Zacapu, Michoacán, México.
The only derivative religious institution of Santo Domingo that existed in Pátzcuaro was this one. A convent was established halfway trough the 18th century in the place that belonged according to was the hospital of Santa Marta. This house exhibits great splendor. It boasts capitals, arches, richly carved architraves, with keystones in its center. In addition it contains a highly interesting bath, with an extremely rich Baroque portal. This bath is of incomparable value if we take into account the scarcity of places designed for this use in those days. This is a beautiful and elegant building, perhaps the most evocative in Pátzcuaro. At present, the edifice houses the shops and studios of many regional artisans. A visit is very important if you want visit with the artisans as they produce their beautiful crafts.
Casa de los once patios, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
This is so named because in the corridor of the upper story of the building is a huge polychrome sculpture of the figure of a soldier. The significance of this figure and why it was placed here are unknown. However it is certain that whoever constructed this mansion was a person with good taste and good humor to have decorated the house with such an artistic but useless figure. The beautiful, manorial design and elegant Corinthian style in the rest of its architecture, as well as its well-preserved state, make this one one of the most beautiful colonial jewels of the city. The Baron of Humboldt stayed here in the 18th century, on his way to the recently born volcano Jorullo.
Casa del gigante, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
The oldest civilian construction in Pátzcuaro, built in 1711, is known as the Palace of Huitziméngari. Its facade gives no hint of the magnificence of its interior, but on first entry to the interior court we see the importance of the edifice. In the construction we notice a certain archaic rusticity. Its enormous arches with rectangular pillars support the upper level with rubble-work masonry parapets, and recall poblana architecture while preserving its own personality. This house belonged to don Antonio de Huitziméngari, noble descendant of Caltzontzin, the last Purhépecha Emperor, whose culture and wisdom ennobled forever his race.
Palacio de Huitzimengari, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
A set of three islands located south of Lake Pátzcuaro. One of the main primary activities in the region is butterfly net fishing. Several festivities are held on the new pier that form a group with the islands, for example, the Virgin of Guadalupe is celebrated every January 12, canoeing competitions are held during Holy Week, or the dances and the decorated arches contest during the Day of the Dead.
Uranden, Lago de Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
It is an archaeological site of great historical value because in its buildings you can find the influence of Teotihuacan architecture, which means that the site was inhabited before the emergence of the Tarascan culture, from 600 AD to 900 AD. Here you can see a ball game on a slope, ruins of different rooms and squares, remains of an aqueduct and a pyramid of seven levels with a square base.
Zona arqueológica de Tingambato, Michoacán, México.
It is worth a visit to the beautiful 17th century church whose vault is made of decorated wood. Known as the “Sixtine chappel of America”
Templo de Santiago apóstol, Tupátaro, Michoacán, México.
The Plaza San Francisco market day deserves a special mention. Each Friday the inhabitants of various towns of the region and of the state converge to sell flowers, plants, large baskets, tools, brightly colored ceramics, all of which can be purchased at reasonable prices and all of which can be difficult to find elsewhere.
Plaza de san Francisco, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
The Compañía de Jesús was established in Pátzcuaro in 1574 in response to many requests, and expelled by its conflicts with the Spanish crown. This temple forms a physical part (though no longer operational) of what now is the Ex-colegio Jesuita. It is dedicated to San Ignacio de Loyola.
Templo de la Compañía, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
La Camelina linear park, a secret that uruapenses share with visitors who enjoy Uruapan. It is a journey of half a kilometer, by stone walkways, surrounded by vegetation, which allow you to appreciate the beauty of the Cupatitzio River, enjoy the freshness and observe beautiful places with waterfalls. This park is free of charge and is located to the south of the main entrance of the Barranca del Cupatitzio National Park, passing the Chapel of Santo Santiago. There, stone stairways give access to a small paradise just five minutes from the center on foot.
Parque Lineal la Camelina, Uruapan, Michoacán, México.
Casa de Pátzcuaro is a space where time takes on another nuance. A 19th century building restored with absolute respect for the original distribution and the use of the spaces was preserved to present it as a sample of life in Pátzcuaro in other times. The common spaces were adapted for, in addition to enjoying a unique place, having a good coffee or a dish of old homemade food and in the afternoon a good mezcal in the style of those times.
Lloreda 7, Centro 61600 Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
One of the attractions of the community of Capula is the Church of Santiago Apóstol, which was built in the sixteenth century; It consists of a single nave and roof with two waters. The decoration that shows the cover corresponds to several medallions with motives apparently of the saints creators of the diverse religious orders that arrived at Michoacán: Franciscans, Augustinians, Jesuits and Dominicans. The Christ found in this Church shows indigenous features and was found in excavations. Its tower was built at the end of the 19th century. Every July 25 the town celebrates its patron saint, Santiago Apóstol.
Iglesia de Santiago Apóstol, Capula, Michoacán, México.
This building now serves as a hotel. It is an edifice of grand proportions which demonstrate that its former dwellers were very upper class. Its facade is simple, adorned only with the coats of arms of the family, interlaced with mortar sashes in relief. These seem to give importance to the noble heraldries of Villa Hermosa de Alfaro and of Ortega, who, in addition, was a viscount.
Casa de los condes de Villahermosa y Alfaro, Pátzcuaro, MIchoacán, México.
After the plaza of Vasco de Quiroga, this plaza is second in importance and a little smaller. Its present name was granted in honor of the rebellious heroine who was assassinated in the main plaza. A great bronze statue in her likeness is situated in its center. For those who enjoy snacks, around the plaza are stands selling a variety of local dishes. It is possible to find in the streets of Pátzcuaro a good number of fountains and small squares that remind us of distant times full of history. Each corner hides a legend.
Plaza Gertrudis Bocanegra, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
This is the most important church in Pátzcuaro, because it is the cathedral that Vasco de Quiroga founded and began to construct in 1540, and which was a truly grandiose project. The church may be observed in the coat of arms of the city. It is composed of five equal-sized vaults that meet in the center, where the high altar is placed. This design represented for Don Vasco a solution to the problem of the multitudes of faithful, who could not be contained in a single temple and who the friars had resorted to serving in “open chapels”, which we will describe later. “Tata” Vasco proposed building a composite temple of five churches, capable of holding all the faithful at once. However, that project was never completed because the experts in construction at the time considered the size dangerous due to the earthquakes that constantly rocked the region. Another version of the story says that the construction was not carried out because the Vatican considered it an act of arrogance and a potential competitor in size and importance with the Basílica of Saint Peter in Rome. However, the only vault constructed served as cathedral from the arrival of the Jesuits […]
La Basílica, Pátzcuaro Michoacán, México.
If you consider yourself an artist, a traveler at heart, a romantic, you enjoy contact with nature and you like the charm and traditions of a legendary culture… …You are ready to visit us! Villa Pátzcuaro Garden Hotel & RV Park is located one minute from the historic center of Pátzcuaro and the same from Lake Pátzcuaro. Your property adjoins a nature reserve, so even being in the city, the country feel and tranquility make it an ideal stay. BOOK NOW
Apolinar Pimentel 1, La Querenda 61600 Pátzcuaro, Michoacán
Ihuatzio in the Purepecha language means “in the house of the coyote.” Originally the area was called Yacatécharo. In the place you can find flora such as pine, oak and cedar, as well as wildlife such as coyotes, squirrels, armadillos, rabbits and weasels. The first occupation of the site corresponded to Nahuatl speaking groups with Toltec influence. Later the Purépecha came to the Lake of Patzcuaro and acquired power with what dominated the region. Ihuatzio was the first seat of the Purépecha empire. The site is distinguished by the huatziri, that is, elevated roads that delimited the spaces and that served as paths to the interior of the site. During its heyday the Ihuatzio nuclear area covered approximately 150 hectares where 84 structures have been identified, of which only seven have been exposed.
Ihuatzio, Michoacán, México.
Here is another beautiful isle, which name means very near Janitzio; but unlike the hubbub there, this is for enjoyment of incomparable calm and tranquillity. its name means “something that is not straight”, “that is crooked” or “half moon”, it is said, due to its shape. Its few inhabitants formed a cooperative that constructed a little group of cabins that include all the services, a game room, a small grocery store, a handicrafts shop and a small but delicious restaurant, all tended by the villagers. This is ideal for couples or for a true spiritual retreat.
Yunuén, Lago de Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
Tecuena is the smallest of the islands of Lake Pátzcuaro, its name means “good honey” and has a viewpoint from which you can contemplate the lake. Beside it is an islet known as “tecuenita”.
La Tecuena, Lago de Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México..
La Huatápera, besides its historical character and for being the most valuable architectural jewel that Uruapan has, should be known with more interest since it currently houses a very important Museum of Art and Indian Tradition in the State divided into four rooms and the chapel : n its main room, dedicated to “The Four Peoples”, visitors can admire manifestations of the cultural richness of these peoples through their most representative material work, among which are pieces related to their daily, religious, playful and artistic life . In the permanent room “El maque de Michoacán”, we can appreciate the cultural value of a historical line of artistic production of the P’urhépecha people, as well as the aesthetic and technological differences that characterize the Michoacan maque producing centers: Uruapan, Quiroga and Patzcuaro, each with its own special stamp, both for the type of products produced, and for the designs and finishes. Through its two temporary halls, the Huatapera shows its visitors various exhibitions with themes related to the life, customs and worldview of the indigenous people of Mexico. In the Chapel you can enjoy a wonderful mural that dates from the sixteenth century; and each month, of an outstanding piece of […]
La Huatápera, Uruapan, Michoacán, México.
Pátzcuaro was one of the first places where the Franciscans established themselves inside the lacustrine zone, due to its importance as an Hispanic population center. We do not know the exact date of the founding of the convent, but the Franciscan’s own historians affirm that this was the fifth convent of the province of Michoacán, established by brother Martin de la Coruña, one of the first twelve Franciscans to arrive in New Spain. However, is known that it was already here when Vasco de Quiroga moved the Episcopal see of Tzintzuntzan to Pátzcuaro, and therefore assumed to be the oldest convent and temple in the city.
Templo de san Francisco, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
On the express wishes of don Vasco de Quiroga before his death, and later of the elected bishop, Brother Jaime de Chávez, and finally, in 1571, of King Philip II himself, 15 Jesuits arrived in México around 1572 under the leadership of Padre Pedro Sánchez. So in New Spain, the very first house or convent constructed was in Pátzcuaro, in 1573. So effective were the novices Juan Curiel, Juan Sánchez Baquero and the brothers Pedro Rodríguez and Pedro Ruiz de Salvatierra, that they who later were ordained as priests. Construction on this building was begun in 1585. It belonged to the Jesuits until 1767, the year they were expelled from Spain and the New Spain after several political problems with the Spanish crown (before they were dismissed by Pope Clement XIV and consequently expelled from Portugal and France, being reinstalled until 1814 by Pope Pio XIV). From then on, the building was put to many different uses, the last of which was as the primary school “Vasco de Quiroga”. Afterwards it fell into ruins and was abandoned nearly 40 years ago. In 1990, a group of citizens organized, forming a society devoted to obtaining funds for the building’s restoration and […]
Antigüo Colegio Jesuita, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
This is located at number 16 Ponce de León Street. It calls attention to itself mainly by the marks on its doors, which are very well-worn from use. In this house was the royal customhouse, which was verified by a little label, half-erased by time, that was legible among the decorations of the smaller door. Unfortunately this label was stolen, depriving the public of an important piece of information.
Casa de la Real Aduana.Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
It is a volcano eye, that is, an extinct crater lake with more than 750 in diameter, this crater houses a beautiful lagoon where beautiful stories and legends have been woven that are part of Tacámbaro’s cultural heritage. Each of these local legends are part of the living cultural heritage that generates identity and belonging among the inhabitants of this natural destination because Tacámbaro is represented in legends that are part of the living history of Michoacán.
La Alberca de Tacámbaro, Michoacán, México.
Templo de san Andrés, Tócuaro, Michoacán, México.
It is a recreational space, but it also has a great history, in its journey it is still common to find mud, oxidiana and some remains of the Purépecha civilization. If you look carefully when you go through it, you will find little explored yacatas, as well as an endless number of interesting places that allow you to delve into the ancestral culture of the “stone place”.
Cerro la Crucita, Zacapu, Michoacán, México.
This is the name given to the mirador (scenic overlook) located on part of what is now an extinct volcano. It is accessible by a stone-paved path. From this mirador it’s possible to have an impressive panoramic view of the city and Lake Pátzcuaro. There is also a long set of stone stairs to the upper part of the crater.
El estribo grande, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
The temple was founded in the fifteenth century, during the colonial era, by the order of the Clarisas nuns. In its architecture highlights its design of dome and large chandeliers made of copper. The building is dedicated to Santa Clara de Asís, who is credited with being the patron of artisans. The place still conserves its original facade of baroque style.
Templo de Nuestra Señora del Sagrario, Santa Clara del Cobre, Michoacán, México.
This building is located in the main plaza. It was given this name due to the fact that the arcade supporting it is much lower that those surrounding it. The entry is formed by thick trunks of wood supporting a horizontal beam on which rests the edifice. It must be noted that the arcade did not always appear as “dwarf” as it does now, because the level of the plaza and the street were later raised. This is apparent if we observe the enormous disproportion that exists between the first and second stories of the house. It actually appears to have a cellar.
Casa del portal chaparro, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
On the airy slope which constitutes the plaza of the Basílica, there lies a lovely garden independent of the church atrium, which because of its hillside location affords a memorable view of the city and of Lake Pátzcuaro, framed by green and distant mountains.
Plaza de la Basílica, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
A skeleton dressed in period, with his wide-brimmed hat adorned with flowers, his lace and a feathered serpent like a rebozo greets everyone who arrives in Capula. It is the catrina, the symbol of this small pottery town of the Don Vasco Route, famous for being the place where these emblematic emblematic figures from all over Mexico are made. It was Don Juan Torres, famous international artist who made Capula his home, who popularized the catrina decades ago. Today, hundreds of small family workshops in the village keep their legacy alive, adding in each batch new designs and the personal stamp of each craftsman.
Capula, Michoacán, México.
One of the main attractions of the region is to go by boat to this isle, the largest and most important in the lake. Here can be admired and purchased a great variety of handicrafts, exquisite typical dishes can be savored in the numerous restaurants tended by the island’s inhabitants, and it is possible to walk to the summit of the island to the enormous statue of Morelos which can be seen from very far away. The interior of this huge statue is ornamented with more than 50 detailed murals describing the Mexican revolution. If one climbs to the upper part of the statue, one can enjoy yet another impressive, beautiful panoramic vista.
Janitzio, Lake Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
The religious members of the hospitable order of San Juan de Dios founded its conjoint church (temple, hospital, schooll and convent) in this city in 1672. Halfway trough the 18th century, don Pedro de Ibarra, a prominent member of the community, left a large sum of money and several pieces of real estate for the maintenance of the hospital, which still exists (although with other sources of income), and is now known as the Dr. Gabriel García civilian hospital.
Templo de san Juan de Dios, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
Knowing the last great capital of the Purépecha empire that developed parallel to the Aztec, and managed to resist the attempts of conquest of the Mexica, the Tarascos, as they were also known, achieved a social refinement comparable to that of their warlike neighbors who lived in Tenochtitlan. From Tzintzuntzan controlled the political, economic and religious life of this civilization, the place is also known as The Yácatas, which are rounded pyramidal structures on a large platform and of which five are still preserved. Like the great Mexico-Tenochtitlan, the Tarascan capital was geographically linked to a lake, the mythical lake of Patzcuaro, possessing a beauty only comparable to its similar lakes in the central area of the country. Both lakes were generous sources not only of the precious liquid but also of abundant edible aquatic fauna, among which is the exquisite and traditional white fish. At its best, the ancient Tarascan domains extended from the stony and bizarre banks of the Lerma River to the north, to the torrid, singing waters of the Balsas River to the south. A gigantic domain of more than 75 thousand km2, whose nerve center was the euphonic Tzintzuntzan, its haughty capital, which in fact […]
Zona Arqueológica de Tzintzuntzan, Michoacán, México.
Majestic building of the XVIII century and neoclassical style that rises stately in the center of the old Valladolid. At night you can contemplate its scenic lighting, placed by the same company that illuminated the Eiffel Tower in Paris, while on Saturdays you have the opportunity to enjoy its lighting in the middle of fireworks and a multicolored show. Its construction began on August 6, 1660 and was completed 84 years later, in 1744. The height of its towers is 66.8 meters, which places them as in the fourth place among the highest in Mexico Its monumental tubular organ has 4,600 flutes and is the second largest in the country.
Catedral de Morelia, Michoacán, México.
In this place there is an ancient bibliographic collection composed of 22,901 volumes that make up the largest ancient literary collection in Mexico, guarded by a public university. The current library was the Temple of the Company of Jesus that is annexed to the old convent of Francisco Xavier Clavijero. Its interior is worthy of a movie scene. The Baroque style temple was completed by the Jesuits in 1695, after having passed through temporary headquarters. Both the temple and the current Clavijero Palace were occupied by the Society of Jesus until 1767, when the entire order was expelled from New Spain by order of King Carlos III. The temple became the property of the State in the 19th century, and until the last century, President Lázaro Cárdenas donated it to the Universidad Michoacana with the proposal to create the public library by rescuing volumes from private collections. It has volumes as old as the 15th and 16th centuries, although it also protects a collection of modern consultation for high school students. The site has six murals, five of which are the work of American artists Hollis Howard and S.C. Schonenberg. Only the mural “La patria” is the work of a […]
Biblioteca pública de la UMSNH, Morelia, Michoacán.
With a privileged location, affordable costs, first class facilities and excellent services, 4Four Gym & Fitness Club is the best gym option in the region. Get fit! We have: THE ONLY GYM OPEN 365 DAYS A YEAR IN PÁTZCUARO.
Libramiento Ignacio Zaragoza 9, 61605 Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
This chapel was built by Brother Marcos Ramírez de Prado, Bishop of Michoacán, towards the end of 1666, as indicated by an inscription found in the shaft of the tower. According to an old tradition, the chapel is built upon the pyramid containing the remains of Tariácuri, the distinguished Purhépecha chief.
Capilla del Calvario, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
This building is located at the corner of Árciga and Alcantarilla streets, one block south of the Basílica. It was founded in 1540 by don Vasco de Quiroga, who named it Saint Nicholas in honor of the patron saint of his native town, Madrigal de las Altas Torres. Don Vasco’s purpose in establishing this school was to create an educational center for Spanish priests, something lacking not only in his bishopric, but in all of New Spain. It is said that its curriculum was so good, that when years later the Council of Trent ordered the construction of new seminaries to prepare priests, the organization of those study centers was a near-copy of what don Vasco had taught in his own school. It is said that this school is the oldest college in the Americas -although it operates currently with different goals and in a new location. When the episcopal see was transferred to Valladolid, the college transferred also, uniting its faculty and holdings with the college of San Miguel. Becoming one, both colleges continued operations until the institution was finally moved to the current University of San Nicolás de Hidalgo. Thus, the original name given by its creator has […]
Museo de Artes e Industrias Populares, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
It means “pushing into the water”. This island have a ptivileged location at the middle of the lake. THe center of this island have a natural pond in which the inhabitants cultivate fish for they local needings. It woth it to visit due to it preservation and tranquility.
La Pacanda, Lago de Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
Saint Francis of Assisi is one of the most beloved saints and the one most entrusted to him by the faithful because of his great devotion to Christ. In the Temple a festival is celebrated in his honor every October 4, during which the meeting between the patron saint and the Sultan of Egypt, Melek el Kamel, during the siege of the Crusaders in Damieta is represented as a dance.
Templo de san Francisco de Asís, Ihuatzio, Michoacán, México.
This is one of the grandest colonial plazas in the Americas, surrounded by arched portals and beautiful colonial houses. It is a curious thing that in the plazas of this epoch –and it only happens here in Pátzcuaro that there are no churches on the plaza, only individual homes and buildings around the circumference. This arrangement is due to the fact that the “downtown” (as we’ll call it) in prehispanic times was used for dwellings and shops, leaving the “uphill” areas for ceremonial and ritual sites. As in other cities constructed on top of prehispanic sites, the churches that exist now were built on top of the old ceremonial sites. The main plaza also contains three fountains; the central one includes a statue of the illustrious person for whom the plaza is named.
We are referring to the several titles that have been given to this edifice, according to the original concept in which the Purhépechas needed both material and spiritual assistance. “Tata” Vasco was already bishop when he founded this hospital between 1536 and 1540, and it had the same functions as the Santa Fe de México and the Santa Fe de la Laguna hospitals. On the east side of this building, opposite the collegial church, stands a lovely arcade that defines Lerín street. North of this arcade is located a sunken fountain that dates from the construction of the main building. The Virgin of Health was located here for 191 years, until 1908 when she was transferred to the Basílica.
Templo del sagrario, Pátzcuaro, MIchoacán, México.
Baroque style building, dating from the seventeenth century, with porcelain inlays on its side walls.
Parroquia de San Diego de Alcalá, Quiroga, Michoacán, México.
Although the Emperor Caltzontzin Theater was built in the first half of the twentieth century, the history of its origins is closely linked to two important colonial institutions: the convent of the order of St. Augustine, built in the first half of the seventeenth century, and the Dr. Gabriel García Civil Hospital (originally called the Hospital de Indios), founded in 1672 by the Hospital order of San Juan de Dios. The Emperor Caltzontzin Theater was built on land belonging to the former former convent of the Augustinian order, which was built under the mandate of Prior Fray Francisco de Villafuerte in the seventeenth century (Source: Roberto Jaramillo Escutia, Los agustinos de Michoacán 1602-1652 : the difficult affirmation of a province, Mexico, 1991). The convent was confiscated by the federal government along with all ecclesiastical goods in 1832 as a result of the application of the Reform Laws. In 1882 the Government of Michoacán ceded the former convent to the Pátzcuaro City Council to establish the municipal house, but the work was not carried out. Subsequently, the former convent was divided into 5 parts that were sold, as municipal property only the temple and an annexed land were left where the […]
Cine - Teatro Eperador Caltzoztin, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
This temple is located in the town of Santa Fe de la Laguna and is the most important of the place. Its construction dates from the sixteenth century so the style should be characteristic of the colonial era but the current facade retains very little of the original because it has had to remodel several times. It has an atrial cross at the entrance made of stone.
Templo de san Nicolás de Bari, Santa fe de la Laguna, Michoacán, México.
This enclosure is an architectural complex that has in its interior the Community Museum, the Temple of San Francisco, the Temple of the Virgin of Solitude and the open Chapel. It was the first convent founded in Michoacán, between the 16th and 17th centuries. The architecture stands out for its plateresque and baroque style, as well as the Muslim influence. Inside the place is a garden known as The atrium of the olive trees, because here you can find 56 of these trees that, according to tradition, were brought from Spain and planted by the same Tata Vasco.
Exconvento de Santa Ana y Capilla Abierta Tzintzuntzan, Michoacán, México.
This is located at the intersection of Ibarra and Codallos Streets. It opened its doors in 1545, together with the temple of the convent of San Francisco, forming part of the hospital which has now disappeared. Christian doctrine was taught there and holy sacraments were administered. Natives were charged with cleaning, maintaining and decorating the church when necessary. The objective of this hospital was similar to that of the hospital of Santa Marta, founded by Vasco de Quiroga and was, in turn, later imitated by the hospital of Santa Catarina, founded by the natives in the neighborhood of San Agustín.
El Hospitalito, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
Market days are the Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday. The Thursday market is mayoreo (wholesale) and many of the dealers come to sell their commodities from the region known as “tierra caliente” (warm earth) and from the center of the republic, and to the Friday is the most important day and the most colorful, because inhabitants of all the mountain villages and of the lacustrine region gather to sell their goods. These include the five species of fish that inhabit the lake, cheeses, a great variety of seasonal fruit, hand-made tortillas, greens and legumes, seeds, candles, flowers, cord wood, large baskets, straw mats, wooden furniture, firewood, molcajetes (mortar and pestle) made of volcanic stone, and much more.
Mercado de Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
In this church you can appreciate a beautiful atrium, full of flowers and a striking atrial cross. Thanks to its size you can admire even more the temple that dates from the 16th century, with plateresque decorations. Likewise, various modifications can be observed that were carried out from the beginning of its construction in 1695 to 1804.
Iglesia de la Natividad, Cuanajo, Michoacán, México.
It was the first convent founded in Michoacán, between the 16th and 17th centuries. The architecture stands out for its plateresque and baroque style, as well as the Muslim influence. In the building of this convent is the Community Museum of Tzintzuntzan, whose objective is to bring the inhabitants and visitors to the artistic expressions of the viceroyalty.
Museo Comunitario de Tzintzuntzan, Michoacán, México.
It was built in the sixteenth century, but the successive restorations to which this building has been subjected have not left much of the original construction, although it is still a must for those who visit this Michoacán town.
Catedral de Tacámbaro, Michoacán, México.
La ruta Don Vasco El misionero Vasco de Quiroga, conocido en nuestra región como “tata (papá) Vasco” es el eje de una ruta turística por demás bella e lustrativa. En este recorrido se transita por la tierra que tanto amó don Vasco de Quiroga, es posible comprender la magnitud de su obra, el por qué de su relevancia y convivir con el patrimonio tangible e intangible que él construyó y sembró en toda la zona habitada por la etnia purépecha. En su concepto, la ruta de don Vasco sigue los pasos de este ilustre misionero y abarca la zona lacustre de Pátzcuaro, la meseta purépecha y Cañada de los once pueblos, lo que resulta sumamente atractivo, pues es posible disfrutar de este patrimonio de sus atractivos su arquitectura, sus curiosas leyendas, el arte , fiestas, tradiciones, la creatividad de nuestros artesanos y su deliciosa cocina tradicional con raíces prehispánicas además de enamorarse de la belleza de una región rica en bosques, lagos y montañas. Morelia, la actual capital de Michoacán, Pátzcuaro, la capital de don Vasco de Quiroga y Uruapan, son la columna vertebral de la ruta que abarca más de 120 pueblos, entre ellos cuatro de los ocho pueblos […]
Centro de Interpretación de la ruta don Vasco, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
This is located to one side of the above-mentioned temple. At one time it was famous and much appreciated for its loveliness and the beautiful maintenance of its gardens and central fountain, however now it is sadly hidden and occupied by market stalls. But it still exists and we hope that someday it will recover its openness and beauty.
Plazuela del Santuario, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
This small temple is filled with life and joy every September 29, the day in which the patron saint of the site is celebrated.
Templo de San Miguel Arcángel, Quiroga, Michoacán, México.
The Franciscans built a monastery in this place in 1570; later it became the current temple whose façade has a Plateresque style. To the right of the place there is an elegant entrance with several arches supported by columns with capitals in the shape of rams and angels, decorated with fruit and vegetable motifs.
Templo de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción, Erongarícuaro, Michoacán, México.
The museum presents the first Purépecha manifestations and works of Mexican popular art. It has artistic workshops in which hammered has been worked; On the other hand, this place has served as the venue for artisan competitions, as well as hosting the National Prize for Science in Arts and Popular Traditions. An excellent option to know the great talent of craftsmen and bring some memory to our loved ones. The attention is very kind.
MUseo Nacional del Cobre, Santa Clara del Cobre, Michoacán, México.
In a direct line and several blocks down from the front of the Basílica, is found the sanctuary of Guadalupe, whose construction corresponds to the unique architectural style of the19th century. It was completed in 1832 and built by Sr. Feliciano Ramos, who came to México from Havana, Cuba. He was the slave of a Spanish family, and obtained his liberty due to good conduct. He devoted himself to commerce and mule driving, by which he amassed a sizable fortune. To comply with a promise he’d made to the Virgin of Guadalupe, he ordered construction of a sanctuary in Pátzcuaro -where he eventually lived- in the place of a previously existing 17th century chapel. Don Feliciano Ramos died May 22, 1830 and was buried in this sanctuary in 1842, after having first been interred in the Basílica.
Santuario de Guadalupe, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
The chronicles refer that in the year 1548, Fray Jacobo Daciano walked from Cheran towards the Zacapu encomienda, accompanied by a retinue of indigenous people. It got dark in the forest, very close to the lake and they camped there. At dawn, Fray Jacobo Daciano called everyone and told them that it was God’s will that a church be built in that place; the Indians dismantled the site, opened foundations, and the string was pulled to begin construction. Later they drew streets, locating the square, the “tianguis” and the royal house. Thus was born what is now the city of Zacapu. This must have happened on June 29, 1548, since Zacapu was entrusted to the patronage of the Apostle Saint Peter and for many years the name of that saint was used to designate the part of the city where the parish temple is located, now dedicated to Mrs. Saint Ana.
Parroquia de Santa Ana, Zacapu, Michoacán, México.
According to historians, it was in this place that Tanganxhúan Tzintzincha surrendered himself to the Spanish crown, represented by the Maestre de Campo Cristobal de Olid, after whom it is named. True or not, there exists on the site a stone crucifix atop a quarried stone monolith, forming what is known in Spain as a “humilladero” (the humiliation place), a roadside or public crucifix. This crucifix has an effigy of Christ and the pedestal has inscriptions of great interest, such as the year 1553, which is when don Vasco de Quiroga ordered the project built. On another side appears the coat of arms of the city and on yet another is a beautiful Renaissance-style relief. In the 18th century, the roadside crucifix was covered with the chapel which still houses it and which adopted its name. On the severe facade of the chapel can be seen on both sides of a sculpted quarry-stone crown, the images of the sun and the moon– a manifestation of the old religion of the Purhépechas. In addition, the interior houses a collection of rare and interesting oil paintings.
El humilladero, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.
This small museum displays a unique collection of agricultural implements and paints about the agrarian movement and to the history of corn.
Museo Agrarista, Tzurumútaro, Michoacán, México.
This park is traditionally known as the Uruapan National Park. It is located in a ravine formed by the Cupatitzio River, which is named as the “river that sings for its falls”. The thick nature that surrounds the eyes of water and the roads that cross the park make this place a very quiet and beautiful space ome of the ponds that are formed are named after old legends. Right at the end of the park is a spring known as “the knee of the devil” for its curious rock formations; This helps to form the Tzarácuara waterfall, with a height of 60 meters. The water around the place is crystal clear with turquoise blue tones. A true natural spectacle. Currently the Park is divided into the Barranca del Cupatitzio National Park, and the Conservation Area.
Parque Nacional Barranca del Cupatitzio, Uruapan, Michoacán, México.
Rediscover yourself in Pátzcuaro and surroundings through moments of learning and reflection. Learn about ancient places, the mix of cultures and their spiritual nuances, while you taste Michoacán gastronomy and enjoy pleasant moments of deep meditation and pleasant relaxation. Know the experiences we have for you! We offer you the conditions for you to experience moments of true peace, relaxation and communication with yourself in Pátzcuaro mystical town. Legendary Patzcuaro. Get to know the mysteries and legends that Pátzcuaro contains on a night tour that begins with the visit and explanation of the murals by Juan O’Gorman in the “Gertrudis Bocanegra” public library. Walk through the ancient streets of the city while you listen to the stories of its great past. It includes: Starry night on Yunuén Island. Enjoy a unique experience of meditation, self-liberation and personal reunion combined with an exceptional ride! It includes: Lunada of freedom on La Pacanda Island. Enjoy a unique experience of meditation, self-liberation and personal reunion combined with an exceptional ride! It includes: Rediscovery experience. Be the protagonist of your own story. Learn about ancient places, about the mixture of cultures and their spiritual nuances, while you taste Michoacan gastronomy and enjoy pleasant moments […]
Apolinar Pimentel, 3 - 1, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
Catercorner from the old Franciscan convent is this plaza, one of the most beautiful of Pátzcuaro. In the center is a fountain surrounded by a ornate curbstone. On one side, facing the wall of the convent of San Francisco, is portal known as Salazar, notable for its arches of different colored stones and its quarry stone tiles.
Plaza de san Francisco, Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México.