In this place there is an ancient bibliographic collection composed of 22,901 volumes that make up the largest ancient literary collection in Mexico, guarded by a public university. The current library was the Temple of the Company of Jesus that is annexed to the old convent of Francisco Xavier Clavijero. Its interior is worthy of a movie scene.
- The Baroque style temple was completed by the Jesuits in 1695, after having passed through temporary headquarters.
- Both the temple and the current Clavijero Palace were occupied by the Society of Jesus until 1767, when the entire order was expelled from New Spain by order of King Carlos III.
- The temple became the property of the State in the 19th century, and until the last century, President Lázaro Cárdenas donated it to the Universidad Michoacana with the proposal to create the public library by rescuing volumes from private collections.
- It has volumes as old as the 15th and 16th centuries, although it also protects a collection of modern consultation for high school students.
- The site has six murals, five of which are the work of American artists Hollis Howard and S.C. Schonenberg. Only the mural “La patria” is the work of a Mexican: Antonio Silva Díaz.