According to historians, it was in this place that Tanganxhúan Tzintzincha surrendered himself to the Spanish crown, represented by the Maestre de Campo Cristobal de Olid, after whom it is named. True or not, there exists on the site a stone crucifix atop a quarried stone monolith, forming what is known in Spain as a “humilladero” (the humiliation place), a roadside or public crucifix. This crucifix has an effigy of Christ and the pedestal has inscriptions of great interest, such as the year 1553, which is when don Vasco de Quiroga ordered the project built. On another side appears the coat of arms of the city and on yet another is a beautiful Renaissance-style relief. In the 18th century, the roadside crucifix was covered with the chapel which still houses it and which adopted its name. On the severe facade of the chapel can be seen on both sides of a sculpted quarry-stone crown, the images of the sun and the moon– a manifestation of the old religion of the Purhépechas. In addition, the interior houses a collection of rare and interesting oil paintings.