In pre-Hispanic times, as a religious capital, it was the most important ceremonial center of the Purhépechas.
Upon his arrival, Don Vasco de Quiroga, moved the Bishopric of Tzintzuntzan to Patzcuaro, making it the capital of Michoacán (1539 - 1580).
It is one of the most beautiful typical towns of America, its magnificent constructions of adobe and tile and its monumental temples, and its spectacular Plaza Vasco de Quiroga make it one of the main tourist centers of the Mexican Republic.
The surroundings of Lake Pátzcuaro and its Islands are inhabited by the indigenous community that retains much of their customs and traditions.
Their fishermen are known worldwide, for the butterfly-shaped nets they use to catch the delicious white fish that is now extinct.